13 April 2023
Exploring Musicality - Face to Face Workshop with Gerard Charles, Artistic Director
13. April 2023
- Exploration of what is meant by musical timing, rhythm, atmosphere, dynamics and phrasing in movement
- How to identify and implement musical resources for specific teaching purposes
- Exploring the concept of ‘musicality’ in dance and music – what it means, and how it is used in various contexts.
General Activity Description
In this practical workshop, participants explore and discuss different interpretations of the term ‘musicality’ with particular reference to the learning and teaching of dance, and in particular the learning and teaching of ballet. Drawing on personal experiences as teachers and students, participants will explore and discuss how musical choices can impact the learning of dance techniques and develop of artistic and performance qualities such as dynamics, phrasing and intention.
The aims of this workshop are to:
- Explore ways of using music creatively, knowledgeably and imaginatively
through greater understanding of how musical choices can impact the
concept of musicality
- Increase awareness of the role of sound and music in the learning and teaching of dance
On completion of the workshop you will:
- Have knowledge and understanding of musical terms and concepts in the teaching of dance and movement
- Be able to differentiate between different interpretations of the term ‘musicality’, and apply this understanding to the learning and teaching of dance
- Be able to apply knowledge and understanding of music and musicality to practical teaching and learning contexts
Basic knowledge of music theory.
Participants should bring with them a selection of pre-recorded music that they normally use.
To register, please use the registration form of our easter course 2023.